Monday 7 April 2014

Final Evaluation Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products (i.e. of music magazines)

When developing my magazine I was largely influenced by Clash magazine. My magazine has a similar title to the one of Clash magazine.
As my magazine is called Crux my magazine is visibly similar to the Clash magazine title, keeping a similar font to match the genre and the same basic white colour to keep it simple, yet professional looking. Also as Crux is only 4 characters and Clash is 5, I decided to make my title slightly bigger to compensate for this.When thinking about my graphology and page layouts I challenged the idea of not sticking with a Z, H or E basic layout and tried something a bit more unique. My magazine has no immediate design layout as it is meant to be simple looking and show off the image with little text to compliment the image. I have designed this similar in a way to Clash magazine but also tried to put my own twist on it.The costumes, props and iconography I used were clever to attract my target audience. This is because I found that as Clash is a very fashion influenced magazine it is vital if my magazine is to look professional that I focus on the fashion of my magazine too. My model can be seen wearing Ralph Lauren on the front cover to look smart and sophisticated even though it may not be his ideal fashion type. However on the double page spread third page my model can be seen wearing more casual clothing such as a hat and tee-shirt which suits his fashion type more and shows a variation in fashion. For my models hairstyle I have had no influence in deciding on what it should look like. I felt that the curly/waviness of his hair gives him a slight edge of not caring which suits his personality. However it is styled quite neatly which contrasts that thought and keeps the smart theme.For the Camera work and framing of my images I have specifically chosen a close up photo for my front cover. When researching Clash magazine it seemed like the best looking most professional choice of photo would be to choose a close up photo. This also worked well as my model is very photogenic and a close up is well suited to my magazine. Also the framing of the photos is well presented. I have no key features of the photos missing, also all of my photos are centrally framed and have a good CVI. Another thing is that on 3 out of 4 of my photos, the model is making eye contact with the reader which is a very powerful tool when attracting your target market. My main double page spread photo I have purposely made the model look away from the camera as it is an over posing photo from where I have taken inspiration from Clash magazine.
When deciding on my style and font for my magazine I tried to keep it basic as I feel it is more suited to the genre I'm targeting. My masthead font is called Bebas Neue and it is a simple font and very bold to enforce power and attract a potential readers attention. My headers font is a font downloaded from a website called dafont. I specifically chose this font as I felt it looked sophisticated and different as the shadow effect it has creates this feeling. The font I used for my double page spread is Ariel, I chose this font as again, it is simple yet effective and my target market doesn't want to be reading anything fancy.
I decided on a really unconventional contents page that included no images and was very basic using just black and white. I did this as I felt it created a different effect that would suit the genre type of my magazine. Also as the front page and double page spread is simple design I decided it would look out of place and unprofessional to make a contents page that was busy like Kerrang or Mojo. My initial idea spanned from inspiration from Clash magazine and I kept a similar contents page design, with a simple layout that works effectively. However I did make my contents a double page layout so I could include an image. This was because I felt I needed another indie looking image on the page to really address and please the reader. Also I feel my magazine is less about the superficial images but about the actual content and whats behind the music as that's what my audience care about the most. But, as I know images are very important in creating a magazine that is why I decided to make it a double contents page and add an image.The genre I am targeting my magazine at are Hipsters and Indie Scenesters. I feel my front cover helps portray this genre as the model looks like an indie/alternative character himself. Also the whole style of the magazine itself including the front cover, contents and double page spread looks different to most of those it would be placed next to on the shelf. The fashion I have chosen also helps show the genre I have targeted. The clothes are all fairly smart with some, such as the contents page photo having a really indie touch to it. The contents page is similar to one of Clash magazine and is different to most other magazines as it is basic colours and not much variation with colours. The use of no photos on the actual contents page is also different and unique and an idea I have used and created in my own way from Clash magazine.My artist is represented cleverly as an indie/alternative artist. I have purposely done this to help enforce the genre I am targeting. My artist represents the genre well as his fashion suits the type of people that will be interested in my magazine. Both of my models have an indie haircut and this will help to distinguish the type of genre the magazine is. They both also look arrogant in the photos and have a "bad boy" rebellious attitude about them which again increases the idea that it is a hipster/indie magazine.The colour scheme of my magazine is simple. I have done this as the examples I looked at (Clash magazine) mainly focused on basic colours and as I have a similar target market/audience as Clash I decided a it would be a good choice also use these colours. Most magazines embrace a 3 colour pallet style and I have tried to reflect this in my work using whites, blacks and greys. This simplicity also helps portray the alternative theme of my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment